They specialize in serving tomatoes in the form of pie or green ones they fry. Now, eight Alabama businesses will compete to earn a prize for creating dishes people like to eat.
Semi-finalists for the Bama’s Best Tomato Dish contest were selected through nominations received on Facebook May 2 – 18. They are:
- Walters’ Gas and Grill in Society Hill for Tomato Pie
- The Downtown Chief in Gadsden for Fried Green Tomato with Pimento Cheese and Pepper Jelly
- Wildflower Cafe in Mentone for Tomato Pie
- Claunch Cafe in Tuscumbia for Tomato Pie
- Walton’s Southern Table in Huntsville for Fried Green Tomatoes
- The Avenue Pub in Tuscaloosa for Conecuh + Pimento Green Tomatoes
- FDL Gourmet To Go in Montgomery for Heirloom Tomato Pie
- Gather Restaurant in Atmore for Train Wreck
To vote for your favorite, be sure to visit Sweet Grown Alabama’s Facebook page and Instagram stories May 23-26! The winner of each head-to-head matchup will move to the Flavorful Four round.
Judges will visit the Flavorful Four and announce a winner later this summer. Along with bragging rights, the winning restaurant will receive a plaque, cash prize, and features in Neighbors magazine and on Simply Southern TV.
Bama’s Best Tomato Dish is sponsored by Sweet Grown Alabama – whose members grow the freshest, best-tasting tomatoes, among numerous other products.
Sweet Grown Alabama is a non-profit foundation that enhances marketing opportunities for Alabama farmers by connecting retailers and consumers to Alabama-grown foods and other agricultural products. Learn more at SweetGrownAlabama.org.
The Alabama Farmers Federation is the state’s largest farm organization with more than 340,000 member families. For more information, visit AlfaFarmers.org.
Simply Southern TV is a production of the Alabama Farmers Federation with major support from Alabama Farmers Cooperative. For more information, visit SimplySouthernTV.net.